valinux goes propietary?

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Mon Aug 27 20:27:01 UTC 2001

On Monday 27 August 2001 18:03, MJ Ray wrote:
> OSI has always been more focused on the technical benefits of "open
> source" rather than freedom.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it
> move even further to the pragmatic point of view, possibly rewriting
> their Open Source Definition to include less freedom beyond being able
> to review the source.

I know that, but too many IT managers have learned Open Source better than
Free Software and they don't know the difference! Many see the 2 movements as
the same stuff. It's going to be hard to remove Open Source from people's
minds.

> > What do you mean with "Linuxmanship"-style page?
>
> There was a web page (and I seem to have lost the URL) which was
> basically a quick guide to marketing and public relations for people
> involved in the LUG movement.  It included such simple things as not
> ranting and be careful to make the language used work for you rather
> than the opposition (eg closed systems are "legacy").  With the
> argument having both technical and social dimensions, I think some
> basic social engineering advice is needed.  Sometimes we can be our
> own worst enemies.  I know I am.

Fantastic, we need a document like that: we need to raise consciousness at
many levels. We need a page to point to for journalists, IT professionals,
users, developers/programmers and the like explaining our ideals to them.

> > http://www.linuxvalley.it/columns/columns.php?IdCol=109 Originally i
> > wrote that article in English to advocate the release of a specific
> > piece of software under the GPL.
>
> It's in English?  I'll read it when I'm next online.  Thanks.

It's in Italian, unfortunately :(
regards
stef

--
Stefano Maffulli aka Reed                   | Milano Linux User Group
http://www.zoomata.com a close-up on italy  | http://www.milug.org