valinux goes propietary?

joack at gmx.net joack at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 08:21:40 UTC 2001

Is it really so worrying, VA's going proprietary?
I should think this was forseeable. VA as all the other Linux-
Companies was an OpenSource business and while it worked it
worked. I have been waiting for these things to happen, the hype is
over and so are the opportunities that went with it.
A while ago Bruce Perens said it was time to talk about free
software again. Maybe its truely time now. We might see VA's fall
as a victory for free software over OpenSource, for free software is
here to stay long after OS has gone. Maybe now it's time to start
promoting fs-ideals among programmers. And maybe now it's also
time to look at proper fs-companies like Alessandro Rubini's in Italy
(see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/software-libre-
commercial.viability.html).
I think we should see the positive side of this. fs was never about
business in the first place; OS is.
Greet
	Joachim
"I hear that if you play the Windows 2000 CD backwards, you get a satanic message!"
-- "That's nothing. If you play it forward, it installs Windows 2000!"