[uk.comp.os.linux] Re: Smoothwall GPL - not quite licensed under GPL

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 11:45:05 UTC 2001

Summary of the background to this is available on
http://www.smoothwall.org/ from Richard's point of view.

In my words: Jason Clifford, who works for Definite Software,
downloaded a copy of "Smoothwall GPL 0.9.9 beta" and discovered that
parts were specifically excluded from the GPL but no licence was
supplied.  He posted to the developer concerned (not Richard) and the
newsgroup (because people were duplicating this CD already) because
this leaves resellers liable to a particularly nasty fine and
imprisonment for illegal distribution.  Smoothwall had previously been
upset by the CD reseller CheepLinux, which is another part of the
Definite Software Group, and so Richard aimed his flamethrower at
Jason...  http://groups.google.com/ has numerous threads on this.

I'm particularly interested if any FSF people count the Smoothwall
developers as friends and how we can best counteract the FUD about the
GPL that is being spread by this project.

For your information, here is the most recent episode in the saga: