glibc 2.2.4 Release Notes

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Tue Aug 21 09:03:08 UTC 2001

On 21 Aug 2001 09:16:32 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.yi.org> writes:
>
> > Perhaps, but the reasons for his bad days are the SC, RMS, etc. And
> > he has a few valid points. I didn't see the rest of the discussion,
> > so I can't really comment on anything.
>
> You seem to have seen more than many of us.  Do you have URLs?

You should start by reading all the rant:

http://news.linuxprogramming.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-16-002-06-LT

AFAICS this isn't new. The "problem" is that RMS is paranoid with legal
issues (Who owns the code, what's the best license, etc). As with most
paranoid people, his work is only recognized when things go bad, which,
fortunately, hasn't happened yet. In the meantime you have people
working that 1) don't understand the need for all this paranoia and 2)
feel the kind of interference caused by the paranoia to be robbing them
from their work.

Drepper, as he says, isn't worried with the political and legal side of
free software. This means that for him, and a lot of other developers,
the political and legal sides of this issue are nothing more than people
screwing those who make things work, the coders.

This means we need some real advocacy to FS and OS coders, not just
outsiders.

--
						Joao Miguel Neves