"economic" mojority

John Peter Tapsell tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 16:37:00 UTC 2001

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
> >
> > http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/en/indprop/softpatanalyse.htm
>
> so they ask for comment and then unsatisfied by the results (largely against software
> patentability) they group most of the comments against patents under the
> name Open Source lobbyst and claim they does not count so much!
>
> I'm disgusted.

Okay I read the first 8 pages, and overall I liked it.
I thought the wording in places was a dodgy, but otherwise it was a good
attempt at summing up everyones views.

They have obviously tried to keep it impartial, and aren't 'unsatisfied by the
results' - just trying in their own eyes to make it fair.
If you disagree, fair enough - and like it says, the eventual weighting will be
done by politcs.

If it was the other way round, and 90% companies for patents, you'd be saying
how you think the 10%-against should be weighted more etc..

weighting is always necessary, even if it sounds horrible.

Well.. yes anyway.

regards
JohnFlux

> > What can we still do against software patents if the EU is
> > not democratic?
>
> from the paper:
>
> "Major players should resist the temptation to aggressively exploit opportunistic patents such as those covering hyperlinks"...
>
> </no comments>
>
> --
> Simo Sorce
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or
15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when
they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'" --Mike Godwin