WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

schilling at fokus.gmd.de schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Wed Aug 8 13:11:15 UTC 2001

>From: Alessandro Rubini <rubini at gnu.org>

>> Don't mix the "European Copyright" (at least to my understaning) with the bad
>> english word "Copyright".

>Yes, you are right they are different.

>> From what I know, European Copyright is very similar to the German Copyright
>> which rather should be called "Authorship right" because the German name is:
>> "Urheberrecht". It is forbidden by law to give away this property.

>Same here: "diritto d'autore". But calling it "property" is not correct.

OK, I believe that "Authorship right" is the best word in english which you
may find for this right. Property is not the right word, but it is a right
that cannot be given away. You either are the Author or not. You may sell
rights on it but you remain the creator.

>I don't see them as "completely" different, although there are differences.

>> For the same reason it is no possible to have public domain software
>> in Europe....

>That's interesting. Could you please expand on this?

Public domain software usually allows you to remove even the Authorship
notices in the files which cannot be done at least in Germany.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling