WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Wed Aug 8 09:34:21 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:39:03AM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > Don't mix the "European Copyright" (at least to my understaning) with
> > the bad english word "Copyright".
>
> Yes, you are right they are different.

I'm not sure you can have a go at the word "copyright" itself!
Certainly, though, you are right about the strict UK legal definition of
"copyright" - Uk copyright is property, you can buy and sell it, as well as
license the rights to use it.

> > For the same reason it is no possible to have public domain software
> > in Europe....
>
> That's interesting. Could you please expand on this?

I don't think this is the case in the UK. The term 'public domain' has a
meaning, although (IIRC) no legal connotation. Public domain works are those
on which the copyright has passed, for example, but I believe it is also
possible to place works into the public domain. It simply means you rescind
your copyright on it, I think, thus making it fair game for anyone.

Cheers,

Alex.