WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 8 09:09:40 UTC 2001

Words do matter.
I stongly agree with RMS on the subject.

We should talk about copyright, trademarks and patents.
They are based on very different concepts.

Intellectal "Property" is a political term with a strong tendency
to make people think in one way. Of course a lot of people like to
win this political battle, but for the sake of society we have to
think more differentiated.

If people do not get the difference, we will loose a lot of freedom
to develop Free Software in the end.

	Bernhard

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:53:13PM +0100, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 03:18:25PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> > >  > Certainly it is applicable to talk of Intellectual Property....
> > >
> > >  " The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression
> > >    for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc,
> > >    but to make all other modes of thought impossible.... "
> >
> > True; but how else do you communicate with someone other than in terms they
> > understand?

> We don't need to invent new terms. When you write, refer to
> 'intellectual "property"' or 'so-called intellectualy property' or
> something like that. I'm sure there are better things to use, I'm just
> typign while I think.

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)