WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

Alistair Davidson lord_inh at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 20:53:13 UTC 2001

Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 03:18:25PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> >  > Certainly it is applicable to talk of Intellectual Property....
> >
> >  " The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression
> >    for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc,
> >    but to make all other modes of thought impossible.... "
>
> True; but how else do you communicate with someone other than in terms they
> understand? Given the good Yorkshire practice of calling a spade a spade,
> I'm inclined call IP IP, since it has an actual meaning applicable to the
> UK.
>
> Similar to the [cr|h]acker debate - people say hacker, fanatics say cracker,
> and any attempt to get the majority to relearn that a hacker is in fact a
> cracker is akin to ordering the sea to retreat....

We don't need to invent new terms. When you write, refer to
'intellectual "property"' or 'so-called intellectualy property' or
something like that. I'm sure there are better things to use, I'm just
typign while I think.

Compare to the way we use "file-sharing" rather than "piracy". Bothterms
are universally udnerstood, but with different connotations. Control of
hte metaphors is essential.

--
Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]
Rick's World: http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html