WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Aug 7 20:33:01 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 03:18:25PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
>  > Certainly it is applicable to talk of Intellectual Property....
>
>  " The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression
>    for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc,
>    but to make all other modes of thought impossible.... "

True; but how else do you communicate with someone other than in terms they
understand? Given the good Yorkshire practice of calling a spade a spade,
I'm inclined call IP IP, since it has an actual meaning applicable to the
UK.

Similar to the [cr|h]acker debate - people say hacker, fanatics say cracker,
and any attempt to get the majority to relearn that a hacker is in fact a
cracker is akin to ordering the sea to retreat....

Cheers,

Alex.