fsfe-de list annoucement

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 09:30:34 UTC 2001

"Wim De Smet" <wdesmet at yucom.be> writes:

> I think you're right, but what's a compound noun?

Actually, I'm not sure whether it is or not when I think about it
more.  Maybe it is.

A compound noun is something like "Yugoslavia Report" where Yugoslavia
isn't an adjective but part of the noun, as you can't say "this report
is Yugoslavia" and make sense in the same way.  Here, "German speaker"
is a compound noun because "German" indicates what the speaker speaks,
not that they *are* German.

> > > + in regions and countries where German is spoken
> > >      --> off?
> > Huh?
> I wasn't sure if it should be 'of' or 'off'. I always get those mixed up.

I'm not sure what you are wanting to say.  I suspect you want "of" as
"off" is the opposite of "on" (unless you're ordering stuff but I'm
not sure how that came about...).