WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 09:27:00 UTC 2001

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:

> You could probably say the same about locks - given people can pick [...]

I don't think this metaphor helps.  The point I was trying to make is
that the statement as it stands is actually fairly meaningless because
there are no effective technological measures.

> [...] In that way, I don't really care how effective or not the device is
> - the fact that it is there is the problem.

Indeed, but the problem is that you are only given a licence by the
copyright holder to use the content.  What conditions that they put on
it is up to them and your only choice is to not purchase if you don't
like the terms.  As the DVD fiasco shows, most people don't give a
damn about only being able to watch movies where and when the movie
makers say.