European DMCA

Nick Hockings s96121272 at tuks.co.za
Sun Aug 5 21:41:53 UTC 2001

> Huh? Reading a book is typically none of the author's exclusive
> rights, you I don't need a license to read it.

That's what I thought until I tried selling a book to a secondhand book shop
once. They told me the edition I had was still being sold new, so they would
not be allowed to sell it. (This was a secondhand only shop.)

I have several times seen books with notices that expressedly forbid selling
them onwards, and video cassettes often carry a notice that prohibits showing
them "in public" citing clubs, schools, and places of work as "in public".

This aspect of copyright is often disregarded by the public and vendors who
have nothing to gain from it, but then many copies of MS products are used
without licenses.

Nick Hockings

<s96121272 at op.up.ac.za>,
<s96121272 at tuks.co.za>,