WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 17:41:31 UTC 2001

list-fsf-eu-discussion at faerber.muc.de (Claus Färber) writes:

> | Contracting Parties shall provide adequate legal protection and
> | effective legal remedies against the circumvention of effective
> | technological measures that are used by authors in connection
[...]

Now, maybe I've just been in Amsterdam too long and the fumes have got
to me, but surely if the copy protections measures are circumventable
they are, by definition, ineffective technological measures?

Or is this some lawyer-speak that I'm misreading?

Article 12 seems to be a pussycat, as long as their definition of
"electronic rights management information" means the content of that
information, not the actual encoding of it.