Fwd: Re: FW: i18n & .NyET

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 12:57:57 UTC 2001

Jeff Davies <jeff at llandre.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> > Because the encoding could cause problems for those who get
> > mailing list in digest form.
> Look, I still don't understand.

Try this: when you splat a MIME attachment into the middle of a plain
text message (such as one of the digest versions), it is no longer
readable as an attachment, so is just useless spew.  If viewed with
certain MIME-capable clients, it will even be seen as a malformed
message and may make the entire digest unusable.

Mailing lists that I run specifically disallow attachments.  Quite
aside from the digest-buggery, they are an amazing waste of bandwidth
for something which most people will not care about.

Understand now?

Thanks to the rest for tolerating this short interlude.  I now return
you to your normal conversation.