European DMCA

Ruben Leote Mendes ruben at nocturno.org
Wed Aug 1 04:31:04 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:55:39PM +0200, Anders Lindback wrote:
> Ruben Leote Mendes skrev:
> >
> > Anyway, my point in my previous message was that you can still reverse engi=
> > neer
> > and build a (free or non-free) program that competes with the original
> > software that _creates_ the copy protected content.
>
> Well, why do you want to to that since you can't even see what you
> have created without a licence to view it.  It's basically useless.

No reason in particular. I was just trying to explain why I think this
Directive does not forbid reverse engineering.
But I can give you a reason if you want: To piss off Adobe & friends. :)
They usually provide the viewer for free (gratis) and charge for the "writer".
If you write a free (as in speech) alternative to their "writer" program,
I am sure they will be less than pleased. It's probably a waste of your
time but you can do it.

Ruben Leote Mendes - ruben at nocturno.org