Starting a new Chapter

Frederico S. Mu�oz fsmunoz at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Apr 25 17:36:42 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:45:44AM +0100, Ruben Leote Mendes wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just finished re-reading the Declaration Of Intent where it says:
>
> "please bear in mind that being part of this organization requires a relatively
>  high level of commitment and establishing the necessary level of trust into
>  each other is a slow process."
>
> I agree and I think that this is a wise approach.
> I would really like to have a FSFE chapter in my country (Portugal), and I am
> sure many more people in their one countries would like to have one
>there.

Indeed; if you check the archives (probably 2/3 mothns ago) you will
see a message of mine asking for what to do to found a portuguese
chapter (at the time I sent 'FSF Europe Launched' appeal to
www.gildot.pt and several other portugese portals).

As I see things, and as I stated at the time, the main thing is that
the FSFE needs initailly to operate in a 'I know you' basis, and as
such we could have some initial problems... I've been trying to raise
public awareness on this issue by sending the FSFE press releases to
the portugese press and portals; as I said there once more the
probelem was that we have many Linux users, but not that many GNU
users (in the political sense, as it were).

> So I would like to suggest the creation of one mailing-list per country
> so that all interested people in each country could meet each other and start
> "establishing the necessary level of trust" between themselves. It can also
> be used to discuss GNU related activities in each country, coordenate
> translations of the FSFE webpage and press releases, and so on.

Yes, good idea; I'm all for it, so count me in :)

> What do you think? If approved consider this a request to create the
> Portugal mailing-list.

Regards,

fsm

--