GNU GPL and European law

Luca Andreucci andrew at ANDREW.ORG
Thu Nov 30 14:13:30 UTC 2000

Hi.

>> possibilities, but we definitely need to agree on basic 'features' each
>> organisation ought to have, and then find an organisational structure
>that
>> best fits our need in each country ;)
>
> Correct, what is needed is a base charter that can be used as a starting
> point when starting the organisation in a different country so that all
> organizations in all countries have the same basic rules.
> Doesn´t FSF have something like that that can be used as a starting
> point.
> Of cource that charter cant be too specific since we probably end up
> with different organisational forms in different countries but it whould
> mention the minimal requirements for that a country organization should
> uphold to be able to qualify for to be part of a greater organization.

I think that it's here that EU comes to play.
I have no expertise in these matters, but I think it makes rather good
sense that, if we're going to start this stuff and call it "FSF Europe",
it should be based on a legal object which is defined by the EU.

I think such object has to exist.

That <BIG>IS NOT TO STATE</BIG> that the society will be active only in
countries which are part of the EU, or that it will not accept members
that are not EU citizens, or whatever else. Only that I think we should
choose a form which is the most "European" possible.

Of course whenever better applies, etc, etc.... hey, IANAL, but we sure
need one here!!! :-)

--
andrew