GNU GPL and European law

Bernd Kulawik kulawik at sim.spk-berlin.de
Wed Nov 29 10:00:26 UTC 2000

Dear Sinisa,

I think you can sure, that no one of the starting group thought of limiting
the activities to the menber countries of the EU. An different thing is, to
check out the legal conditions first in that "area", because in the future
they might give some sort of orientation to the other countries: Though the
information you gave about M$-behavior in your country sound ugly, it seems
to me, that Free Software has a special chance there: a lot of
infrastructural things there to me seem to have still open possibilities,
while here "in the west" the M$-indoctrination works since the beginning.
And the arguments of security and minimal prices may be convincing to a lot
of people. So, activities of the FSF-Europe are very important especially
outside the EU.

To all the others in the list - and especially Georg:

Wouldn't be the organizational form of an association like Amnesty
iInternational a good example for the FSF-Europe? The legal form of a
"foundation" in the strict sense (as far as I know about it in Germany) may
not be the best solution, I think. Some sort of "eingetragener Verein"
("registered association") could be better.

Bernd