Lobbying?

Alexander Braun braun at gwdg.de
Mon Nov 27 15:43:29 UTC 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Kari Pahula wrote:

> Now that free software as a movement and an economic factor is strong,
> you may try to deal with politicians all you wish.  You may even gain
> some reforms and avoid the worst from happening.  But for the long
> term I'd just ditch em'.  I haven't seen much need for them so far,
> why would that change all of sudden?  The politicians may have power
> to decide what goes where and what policies are adopted, but the
> people actually living down here have the final say.

hmmm? the politicians have the power to decide, but the people decide? I'm
not sure about that. I think it is important to lobby the politicians for
two reasons (so far):

a) they don't know about FS. But you're right, _they_ decide. They
need to know about it to be able to decide.

b) once they know it exists, now they've got to see the advantages of free
software. More lobbying here.

> I'd like to see things continue as they have so far.  Let free
> software spread subversively as it has so far, and if there's some
> government policy somewhere as an obstacle, convince the grassroots to
> decide, not the government.  Government is all about control, just as
> proprietary software.

I think the movement has gathered so much momentum that higher levels can
be targeted, like governmental levels. And I don't necessarily see
Governments as the enemy which tries to control everything. I for my part
do believe in democracy.

> Ironically, that's one of the reasons why free software gains
> considerable support from governments in Europe.  They perceive to
> have more control with uncontrollable free software than with US
> controlled proprietary software.  But, contrary to what some open
> source types might think, software by itself is not magic.  If nobody
> cares about free software, they'll just outlaw it or work around it
> (embedded systems anyone?) and proceed with controlling things.  But I
> digress...

But this still is the main point: give the governments the oppertunity to
shape and control their software to their needs. By controlling their
software they don't control you _or_ FS, thanks to the GPL. And I would
_much_ rather see my government be in control of an open system, then in
dependence of some american security agency (NSA_Key, RSA for Lotus Notes
anyone??).

Or did I miss your point completely??

ciao

Alex