Logo ideas

Anja Drewitz anja at 44615166.Theo-Phys.Uni-Essen.DE
Mon Dec 25 22:48:12 UTC 2000

Hello,

Peter Gerwinski told me about the logo discussion on this list.
I would like to show you some ideas. Here are two sketches (i.e. not
considered final versions):

  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~anja/gnu/gnu-mit-sternen2.png

This is a combination of the silhouette of a gnu with the European
stars.

  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~anja/gnu/europa-und-gnu1.jpg

This is a variation on "Europa riding a gnu".

I hope the gnu head and the girl from the pencil drawing look familiar
to you. (*) Europa will get something to wear later, either a white
greek gown or the yellow dress of French Marianne from Delacroix'
painting (**) (which shows the fashion of the time which was inspired
by greek fashion, anyway;-). However, when she is riding comfortably
on a gnu she has plenty of time to tidy her dress and lace up her
bodice again, so I would not show her with the bodice hanging down. If
you prefer the well-known torn dress of the painting then we should
add a lot of wind to give her a reason for her looks.

(*) The girl's pose is inspired by the "little mermaid" statue in
Kopenhagen. Here's a picture I found on the web (there is a nicer
picture in my encyclopia but it's copyrighted in a way that I must not
scan it.)-:
  http://schwarzaufweiss.de/kopenhagen/kleine_meerjungfrau.htm

(**) I found a nice link to Delacroix' painting "liberty leading the
people":

WebMuseum: Delacroix, Eugène
  http://netcity.netspot.com.au/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/
Merry console-mas       /\         /* ' \