Logo/name considerations

Peter Gerwinski peter at gerwinski.de
Sun Dec 24 09:57:57 UTC 2000

Hi!

Frederico S. Muñoz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:52:25AM +0100, josX wrote:
> > We are talking about 'Free Software Foundation Europe', since everything
> > is held under the microscope: why use English? [...]
> [...]
> Having said that, 'Free Software Foundation Europe' in english doesn't
> associate the FSFE with any country in Europe, [...]

I agree.

Another thought: Even if we rename the "Free Software Foundation
Europe" now, people all over the world will continue referring to
it as the "Free Software Foundation Europe", so all we can get by
renaming is confusion.

Having said that: Why not think about different _expansions_ of
"FSFE" in other languages? For example, I can translate "FSFE" to
"Freie-Software-Förderung Europa" in German which is not exactly the
same as "Free Software Foundation Europe", but preserves the spirit.

I would be really glad if we found a suitable latin name which also
can be abbreviated "FSFE". In that case I would vote for that as a
valid official name. :-)))

(But "free" in latin starts with "L", so this will be difficult.)

Merry Christmas,

    Peter

--
http://home.pages.de/~Peter.Gerwinski/ - G-N-U GmbH: http://www.g-n-u.de