Logo/name considerations

Frederico S. Mu�oz fsmunoz at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Dec 23 20:33:54 UTC 2000

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:52:25AM +0100, josX wrote:
> Hi!,
> We are talking about 'Free Software Foundation Europe', since everything
> is held under the microscope: why use English? Only a small group of total
> Europe speak it natively, and is isn't the largest sub-group.
> What may be more of a problem is the fact that English might be
> associated with the kapitalistic Western world by large numbers of people
> from Eastern-Europe.

Well, the thing is that English is the language that we are talking in
this mailing list, and that's because it's the only language we can
use to understand each other. English is the de-facto language for
international and internet discussion, and nowadys I don't think that
it associates with anything; the ppl from Eastern Europe I know from
the internet I know exactly because I sepak English to them, otherwise
I wouldn't go past the inital 'hello'.

Having said that, 'Free Software Foundation Europe' in english doesn't
associate the FSFE with any country in Europe, or better, using *any*
other language would associate FSFE with that country much more
(e.g. using French with the french-speaking area in central europe,
gernam ditto, etc). I speak portuguese nativelly, but I can only
understand and make myself understood in a foreign language if that's
english, otherwise I can prolly understand 80%-20% depending on the
other languaged used.

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org