Logo considerations

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Sat Dec 23 09:37:07 UTC 2000

 || On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:06:57 +0100
 || Peter Gerwinski <peter at gerwinski.de> wrote:

 pg> I'd like to throw in some thoughts:

Okay, if we're at it, I might as well state my personal
preferences. *g*

 pg>  * I agree that a logo must be minimalistic enough to look well
 pg>  in small sizes.

*nod*

 pg>  * I also agree that a gnu (the animal) is almost a must.

A GNU would be good but I don't think it is mandatory. We needn't
confine ourselves to things containing GNUs, I think.

 pg>  * I like the idea with goddess Europa very much, but I am afraid
 pg>  that "Europa riding a gnu" is too detailed for a logo. Anyway we
 pg>  "must" produce that piece of art. :-)

The idea isn't bad - but I fear we'll run into problems actually
realizing it in a good-enough way.

Personally I like & prefer the more abstract and simple things. Which
is why I chose the "horned world" as the logo for the Brave GNU
World. It is simple, looks good and is easy to scale.

Someone sent a list of links around for Europa & GNU sources of
inspiration. Of those

 http://www.si.umich.edu/Art_History/demoarea/details/1968_2.64.html

was my clear favorite. Not because I think it is necessarily suited as
a logo (it is too big for that, I think) or because we need to have
such a massive Europa in front (she IS rather dominating the picture)
but because it is minimalistic and to the point. Unfortunately it
isn't all that easy to draw things of a similar quality.

As far as I am concerned, anything would work that somehow associates
Europa, GNU/Bull, the shape of Europe or maybe even some kind of
historical reference.

Whatever it is: it should not be too figurative and not too close to
its "inspiring source."

So far for my 2 cents...
                                Georg

--