Logo (was: Tax....)

Frederico S. Mu�oz fsmunoz at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Dec 22 00:21:08 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 08:40:08AM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > Shouldn't she rather be "... a splendid woman whose eyes were as soft as
> > a feather and as deep as eternity itself, and whose body [...]
>
> I don't dislike the general idea, but I think we must avoid images
> that may be unfair to someone. Even though male people are (curently)
> the majority in the software field, I wouldn't depict ourselves with
> an image that's more aimed at male viewers.
>
> What about "old europe riding a gnu" instead?

Well, that would miss the point a bit... I agree with who wrote
somewhere in this thread that this is prolly being pc too much; Europa
was a Goddess, hence beautiful (well, the Greeks were this way, they
didn't fancy worshiping ugly women *or* men); she was kidnapped
exactly because of this.

Anyway, about the logo, if one is aiming at making it understandable
in b&w and at slow res it's prolly not a great idea to enrich it too
much... I mean, a Goddess riding a gnu with a computer and a monitor
and stars and more stuff will prolly not be very understandable (well,
it will depend on the artwork, but still...); elaborate and complex
graphics are very good for, say, a web page initial header or for the
cover of a book or wherever one can scale it and present it at a
reasonable resolution/size; this reminds me of the discussion of the
difference between a mascot and a logo with Linux some time ago.

All of this is pretty vague, and I guess we will only find a good
solution when a draft of these ideas have been produced; great ideas
can hard to implement as a logo, and some bad ideas turn out to be not
so bad when a good logo is done... the best would prolly be to submit
some snapshots and then the core members/founders would choose
whatever they liked best...

BTW, I do like the idea, but it has to be made in a way that it is
kept simple (or we would have the painting 'Kidnapping of Europa' as
the logo).

I hope this message get's through; the first one I sent introducing me
was held waiting for moderation approval (the database of subscribers
aparently took some time being updated) and went to /dev/null :)

Just my $2

Best Regards,

fsm

--