"Free World" Software not Free Software

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Dec 8 09:46:10 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 05:46:41PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> Hmm... I wouldn't loose too much time dissecting licenses. Nowadays
> everyone is promoting his/her own license.

True,
but sometime we need to stand against false claims.
A lot of people do not know what free software is
and rely on us to point out, when someone wrongly claims his software to
be free...

> After repenting about all the time I lost reading, I have a thing
> to note:
>
>      1.4 FREE PLATFORM: A Free Platform is defined to be any Platform
>      whose software component satisfies all of the following
>      conditions [...]  c. the software may be used for any purpose; d. the
>      software may be modified, and modified versions used;
>
> Therefore, a platform including software released with this license is
> not a free platform, and the software itself can't be run on that very
> platform.
>
> Disclaimer: yes, I know the ``platform'' is defined to be only the
> basic components, so the ``including'' above is restricted to those
> components. But the license is so free that you are not free to
> use it to release your own kernel or compiler or interpreter.

Puts it to a good point.
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)
FSF Europe					      (www.fsfeurope.org)