an IRC channel

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
Fri Dec 1 19:58:11 UTC 2000

Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> (I'm reposting from the address I used in subscribing, mr. moderator,
> please reject my previous message waiting for approval)
>
> > What about an IRC channel where we could discuss in real-time?
>
> No, thanks. This requires people being online and leaves no written
> record.  IRC is not for serious discussion or serious people, in my
> opinion.
>
> I have my (free software) work to accomplish and can't be diverted by
> an IRC line. I suspect there's a lot of people in my situation, and a
> lot with no fixed connection to the net nor acceptable phone rates.

I agree IRC should not be used as primary comunication mean, and that
e-mail is far superior in reaching any interested people.
But IRC should not demonized, I see it as a conference call surrogate
where you may agree to meet if you need a quick debate.

Simo.

simo.sorce at tiscalinet.it
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9757