[WikiCaretakers] Outdated pages

Sun May 1 15:05:19 UTC 2022

On 3/14/22 22:52, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
Hi,
> Am Samstag, 12. März 2022, 06:53:20 CET schrieb Matthias Kirschner:
>> I just stumbled over some old pages, and just deleted one without much
>> content at all, I am wondering if it is fine to also delete pages like:
>> https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/Hardware/OpenPandora which were setup
>> and then not further developed and the quality is not really that well.
>>
>> What is your take?
I don't feel I am in charge to judge the quality of a page. In regards
to OpenPandora I think the project is alive but more something for
hobbyists.
> With our previous wiki cleanups, we've been very relaxed in actually removing
> pages. Mostly, because the wiki was quite very unstructured at that time, and
> sorting out the pages would have increased the workload quite a bit compared
> to "just" organizing them.
> That said, we did remove pages when they obviously did not contain any useful
> content.

I think we have deleted very few (maybe to few) pages in the past. It's
difficult to actually judge the benefits of the page for our community.

> My personal take is that page removal usually is a very nuanced process. I
> tend to err on the side of caution (as I'm a little bit of a digital hoarder
> myself), but use your own judgement and be bold ;-)
>
> If things are not clear cut, I usually try contacting the author and/or flag
> the page by adding one of these two categories:
>
> https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/DeletionCandidate
> https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/ImproveThisPage
Maybe it would be a good first step to flag pages and see if someone in
the community updates the page or at least points out interest in
keeping the page.
>> And do you from time to time do some cleanup on the
>> wiki / flag obviously outdated pages?
>>
>> No, not for some time now...

Well we had hard times for face to face meetings for the past couple of
years I think. Usually work on the wiki was done while sitting close
together.

Well for the past two years I have maintained the wiki server operating
system but since this is now automated by system-hackers (at least
that's what I understood) their was little need to action.