[FSFE] Youth Hacking 4 Freedom: 3rd round of the programming competition for European teenagers about to start

Press FSFE press at fsfe.org
Fri Dec 1 09:38:16 UTC 2023

The 2024 edition of the Youth Hacking 4 Freedom competition is about to
start! Registration is now open and the contest kicks off on 7 December!
Since the start of the competition in 2021 more than 150 teenagers have
already taken part in it. Youth Hacking 4 Freedom offers young
Europeans, between 14 and 18 years, the opportunity to design and
develop their own project using Free Software, and to win more than
€4000 and a weekend in Brussels.

Run by the Free Software Foundation Europe, Youth Hacking 4 Freedom
[yh4f.org] is a free competition for young Europeans that offers the
chance to work on their own projects, alone or in teams. The 6 winners
will receive a cash prize ranging from 1024 € to 4096 €. But at Youth
Hacking 4 Freedom everybody is getting something out of the competition.
Participants have the chance to meet our Free Software experts from the
jury as well as other teenagers from all over Europe and build
friendships that can last a lifetime.

             “I wanted to create a privacy friendly version of ‘Kahoot!’
             so students do not get tracked while using it, which I think
             it is really important!" -Marlon, YH4F2023 winner -

             “Since I had some experience in developing software and
             using versioning tools like Git, I took the opportunity to
             practice and improve my skills even further.(...) I also
             learned a lot about decentralization and how to write good
             documentation. Lastly, I was interested in meeting other
             like-minded people, so I joined the Matrix channel and had a
             lot of fun discussing topics related to Free Software”
             -Konrad 2022 participant-

At Youth Hacking 4 Freedom, participants not only improve their
programming skills from beginner to advanced, but also learn how to work
on a 6-month project, developing organisation, time management and
project planning skills. It also gives them a chance to be creative and
develop something they really like, as well as the pride of developing
their own project.

You can find all the information in the YH4F media kit on our download
server:
https://download.fsfe.org/YH4F/Youth%20Hacking%204%20Freedom%20-%202024.pdf

Youth Hacking 4 Freedom in a nutshell.
      • Participants must be born between 1 January 2004 and 31 December
2008.
      • Participation is free, but registration is mandatory.
      • Registration is open throughout the coding period:
https://survey.fsfe.org/index.php/658534
      • The opening takes place on 7 December 2023.
      • The coding period runs from 1 January to 30 June 2024.
      • During the programming period, participants are free to attend
the monthly online meetings.
      • The first, second and third place winners will receive €4,096,
€2,048 and €1,024 respectively. There will also be three special prizes
of €1,024. In total, around €10,000 will be awarded.
      • Each participant who submits a project will also receive a
certificate of participation and a special prize.
      • The competition will be conducted remotely, except for the award
ceremony, which will take place in Brussels during a weekend in October
2024 (to which the winners and a family member will be invited on an
all-expenses-paid basis).

For more information, please visit:https://yh4f.org  or send an email to
information about the successful previous editions here:
https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-yh4f.html  and the media kit:
https://download.fsfe.org/YH4F/Youth%20Hacking%204%20Freedom%20-%202024.pdf