[FSFE] German Parliament receives Upcycling Android Open Letter

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 15 09:40:13 UTC 2023

 = German Parliament receives Upcycling Android Open Letter =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/2023/news-20231115-01.it.html ]

On 14 November, the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) handed over
the Open Letter “The right to install any software on any device" to
Tabea Rößner, Chair of the Digital Affairs Committee at the German
Bundestag. The letter aims to enable a more sustainable use of
electronic products and devices in the European Union.

To achieve this goal, the Open Letter [1] sets out four key demands:

1. Users have the right to freely choose operating systems and software
   running on their devices

2. Users have the right to freely choose between service providers to
   connect their devices with

3. Devices are interoperable and compatible with open standards

4. Source code of drivers, tools, and interfaces are published under a
   free license

Signed by more than 3000 individuals and by 147 organisations, the Open
Letter to European Union legislators was presented on 14 November to the
Chair of the Digital Affairs Committee (Ausschuss für Digitales) at the
German Bundestag, by a delegation from the FSFE.

Tabea Rößner, Chair of the Digital Committee, commented when receiving
the open letter:"So many devices end up on the scrapyard after just two
or three years. But the devices are still in good condition and could be
made to last with new software. We could bring them back to life,
especially with Free Software. It would be a real sustainability effect
if we had the right to install any software on any device. That's why
this initiative is absolutely worth supporting.”

Rößner announced that she would hand over the Open Letter to Steffi
Lemke, Germany's Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature
Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection.

"The Open Letter is part of our Upcycling Android campaign, which we
started to raise awareness about how Free Software can help to improve
the sustainability of our digital devices. In addition to the Open
Letter, the initiative has held workshops, developed policy
recommendations, and received a lot of public attention, promoting the
right of every user to install any software on any device. Moreover,
upcycling our devices is an important step in rethinking our short-term,
linear consumption of electronic devices in favour of a circular
economy”, explains Johannes Näder, FSFE Senior Policy Project Manager.

 == About Upcycling Android ==

Launched in November 2021, under the name “Upcycling Android" [2], this
FSFE initiative has also helped people to flash their phones with Free
Software operating systems. This not only promotes the right of any user
to install any software on any device, but also enables a more
sustainable use of electronic products.

Even after the project has officially ended, the Upcycling Android
material can be freely used by others who want to continue promoting the
use of Free Software while overcoming software obsolescence.

 1: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/openletter.it.html
 2: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/index.it.html

  == Informazioni sulla Free Software Foundation Europe ==

  La Free Software Foundation Europe è una Onlus che incoraggia gli utenti
  ad avere il controllo della tecnologia. Il Software è presente in tutti
  gli aspetti della nostra vita ed è importante che questa tecnologia ci
  aiuti anziché limitarci. Il Software Libero garantisce a tutti il
  diritto di usare, studiare, modificare e condividere il software. Questi
  diritti aiutano a sostenere altre libertà fondamentali come il diritto
  di parola, la libertà di stampa e la privacy.

  La FSFE aiuta persone e organizzazioni a comprendere come il Software
  Libero contribuisce alla libertà, alla trasparenza e
  all'auto-determinazione.  Potenziamo i diritti degli utenti abolendo le
  barriere che esistono nell'adottare il Software Libero, incoraggiamo le
  persone ad usare e sviluppare il Software Libero e forniamo le risorse
  per consentire a tutti di promuovere ulteriormente il Software Libero in
  Europa.

  https://fsfe.org