[FSFE] [Save the date] Free Software community celebrates 40 years of software freedom on Sept 27

Press FSFE press at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 23 13:28:40 UTC 2023

Hello,

This coming 27 September, the Free Software (also known as Open Source)
community celebrates the 40th anniversaryof the GNU operating system.
This marks the beginning of the Free Software movement and its demand
for the freedom of users to use, understand, adapt and share software.
These rights help to support other fundamental freedoms such as freedom
of speech, press and privacy.

In recent decades, we have seen how technology is increasingly shaping
our lives; software is deeply involved in all aspects of our lives. It
is important that this technology empowers us rather than restricts us.

To celebrate this day and these four decades of the movement for
software freedom, the Free Software Foundation Europe is preparing a
media kit for European journalists with basic information about the Free
Software community and the importance of this day.

The media kit will be in English and we expect to send it to you in
early September. If you have any special requests, please let us know.

Best regards,

Ana Galán

--
Ana Galan - Senior Project Manager Communications
Free Software Foundation Europe