[FSFE PR][FR] Belgium commits to Router Freedom

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Mon Nov 13 14:14:43 UTC 2023

 = Belgium commits to Router Freedom =

[ Version en ligne: https://fsfe.org/news/2023/news-20231113-01.fr.html ]

The Belgian telecom regulator BIPT formally introduced Router Freedom.
The decision encompasses all network types including fiber (FTTx) and
the decision sets a deadline of twelve months for becoming compliant.
The FSFE acknowledges this decision as a major win for consumer rights,
and will monitor further implementation.

Router Freedom [1] is the right that customers of any Internet Service
Provider (ISP) are able to choose and use a private modem and router
instead of equipment provided by the operator. This freedom has direct
impact on consumer welfare, device security, and sustainability in the
telecom sector. In a decision published on October 2023, the Belgian
telecom regulator BIPT formally introduced Router Freedom nation wide,
applying this right to all network types, including fiber (FTTx).

In a comprehensive analysis [2], the regulator confirmed its previous
proposal [3] to set the position of the Network Termination Point (NTP)
at Point A, meaning that end-users will be able to use routers and
modems of their choice. The regulator rebuked the arguments of telecom
operators who claim that Router Freedom would have a negative impact on
the interoperability and security of the network.

The decision of the BIPT explicitly recognised Router Freedom for fiber
networks in the EU. Although other regulators have considered this
freedom in general terms for all network types, operators have been
pushing for exceptions for fiber in order to push their own optical
terminal equipment (ONT) onto consumers. The BIPT dismissed the
exception of fiber networks, arguing in favour of the same definition of
the NTP for all topologies. ISPs will have twelve months to come
infrastructure to come into compliance.

 == “Since the location of the network connection point at A most promotes innovation and competition in the terminal equipment market, it is appropriate to set the NTP at point A. […] This means that modems and routers are part of the terminal equipment and can therefore be freely selected for broadband and VoIP services”. (translated from Belgian) Belgian Institute for Postal Services and Telecommunications (BIPT).  Community support was paramount ==

T"The BIPT recognised the demands of the FSFE and quoted us in several
parts of their analysis, referring inclusively to our monitoring map
[4]. A network of supporters, volunteers, and supporting organisations
in Belgium empowered the expert contribution of the FSFE to the
regulatory process. We relied on the support of the FSFE Benelux team
[5], who proactively monitored and supported communication with the
regulator. Besides that, our partners in Italy [6] helped us provide
prompt repsonses when the regulator required further input regarding the
certification procedures for router interoperability in Italy.

 == Practical implementation requires proper monitoring ==

As we point out in our recently published comprehensive survey on Router
Freedom [7], even in countries where Router Freedom is regulated, end-
users suffer several hurdles to use their own equipment. Operators
contractually prohibit the use of private equipment or impose
disproportional disadvantages to users with private routers. The
operators often do not inform end-users about access credentials device
compatibility with the network and customers often do not receive the
same level of service compared to customers who use the operators’
routers.

The FSFE will closely follow up on the implementation and further
monitor future developments. We urge the BIPT to do the same and
strictly intervene in non-compliant cases.

 == Further material ==

- The FSFE position to public consultation of the BIPT (EN) [8]  (NL)
  [9]

- The BIPT decision on the position of the NTP (NL) [10]

 == The Router Freedom initiative ==

Router Freedom [11] is the right that customers of any Internet Service
Provider (ISP) are able to choose and use a private modem and router
instead of equipment provided by the operator. Since 2013, the Free
Software Foundation Europe has been successfully engaged with Router
Freedom, promoting end-users’ freedom in many European countries. Join
us and learn more about the several ways to get involved [12]. Please
consider becoming a FSFE donor [13]; you help make possible our long-
term engagement and professional commitment in defending people’s rights
to control technology.

  1: https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/index.fr.html
  2: https://www.bipt.be/consumers/publication/decision-of-26-september-2023-regarding-the-identification-of-the-network-termination-point-for-broadband-services-and-tv-services
  3: https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20221215-01.fr.html
  4: https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/router-freedom-tracker_581123#4/53.15/18.19
  5: https://wiki.fsfe.org/LocalGroups/BNL
  6: https://www.modemlibero.it/
  7: https://fsfe.org/news/2023/news-20230515-02.fr.html
  8: https://download.fsfe.org/routers/fsfe-bipt-ntp-en.pdf
  9: https://download.fsfe.org/routers/fsfe-bipt-ntp-nl.pdf
 10: https://www.bipt.be/consumenten/publicatie/besluit-van-26-september-2023-betreffende-de-identificering-van-het-netwerkaansluitpunt-voor-de-breedbanddiensten
 11: https://fsfe.org/activities/routers/index.fr.html
 12: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210330-01.fr.html
 13: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210330-01.fr.html

  == About the Free Software Foundation Europe ==

  Free Software Foundation Europe is a charity that empowers users to
  control technology. Software is deeply involved in all aspects of our
  lives; and it is important that this technology empowers rather than
  restricts us. Free Software gives everybody the rights to use,
  understand, adapt and share software. These rights help support other
  fundamental freedoms like freedom of speech, press and privacy.

  The FSFE helps individuals and organisations understand how Free
  Software contributes to freedom, transparency and self-determination. We
  enhance users' rights by abolishing barriers to Free Software adoption,
  encourage people to use and develop Free Software, and provide resources
  to enable everyone to further promote Free Software in Europe.

  https://fsfe.org