[Fsfe-ie] Re: Some help with understanding the directive document?

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Fri Aug 26 22:45:25 CEST 2005

Thanks Teresa.

teresahackett at eircom.net writes:
> The framework decision lies mainly
> with the Council with little role for the parliament.

ok.  At a quick read, The Framework Decision (pages 12->15) looks ok anyway.
I guess we just have to watch out for amendments making it dangerous.

> The procedure for the Directive should be the same as usual. Perhaps you
> should check this with a local.

Yes, Codecision Procedure according to:
http://europa.eu.int/prelex/detail_dossier_print.cfm?CL=en&DosID=193131

So it's the same as the swpat directive.

> So we should support the organised crime parts but get rid of commercial
> scale and the TRIPS+ provisions e.g. inciting infringements, etc.

ok.

> There's probably not much we can do on the framework decision, but we
> should be able to lobby for the directive. But take advice on this!

ok.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan,                               |  Support FSFE's work against
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/              | software patents by becoming