[promo order] order.%2014-%08-%28.0

Kevin Keijzer the_unconventional at fsfe.org
Mon Sep 1 16:05:44 CEST 2014

Hi Erik,

No need to anonymize me: it was my order (I'm all out of promotional
materials). :)

I agree that we really need Dutch printed flyers. I've already had
dozens of requests by interested people who had trouble with English and
German. For most people under 30, English will suffice, but those above
40 often have trouble to really comprehend what is described in the
English flyers.

Understanding German is even worse in the west of the Netherlands.
People here don't get any further than "Bayern München", "schnitzel",
and some swear words, I'm afraid. I have one friend able to understand
the German FSFE materials, but his father is a high school German
teacher, so yeah..

I thought that we already completed some Dutch translations (the
screwdriver flyer, if I remember correctly). Weren't they even test
printed once? Because I'd really like a stack of those, as there are
plenty of places I would like to drop a few off.

A lot of people have been approaching me 'out of the blue' lately,
asking for advice about GNU/Linux and other Free Software. I'm not sure
what happened, but it seems like the Dutch Free Software community is
actually growing after having been tediously underrepresented for as
long as I can remember.

If it were up to me, I'd prioritize the translations/printing of the
following flyers in Dutch:

- 'Free Software and tools' leaflet
- 'F-Droid' leaflet
(although I would personally not reference CyanogenMod any more, but
OmniROM instead)
- 'Email self-defense with GnuPG' leaflet (the informal one)
- 'Document Freedom Day' leaflet

Those are the ones people seem to like the most, and I think that some
of them have been (partially) translated already.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, / With kind regards,

Kevin Keijzer

Free Software Foundation Europe
Education Team

kevin at quietlife.nl / the_unconventional at fsfe.org