FSFE 2018 Financials (was Re: transparency about the fellowship)

Reinhard Müller reinhard at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 20 10:52:09 UTC 2020

Hi, Paul!

Thank you for your comment on our financials! Considering the time I
spend compiling the numbers, I'm really happy somebody outside the
financial team actually looks at them, besides the tax office. ;-)

Am 19.01.20 um 22:48 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> And there are also paid services (whatever these are) that bring in revenue:
>
> 2014:  18148.47
> 2015:  26803.17
> 2016:  34563.50
> 2017: 107783.06
> 2018:  81090.47
>
> [...] some insight into the rather
> larger "paid services" revenues would be interesting since they have been
> holding up the bottom line.

In most years, the by far largest share of the item "paid services" is
participation fees for the Free Software Legal and Licensing Workshop
(https://fsfe.org/activities/ftf/legal-conference.en.html).

The extraordinary high numbers in 2017 and 2018 result from significant
money we received for the REUSE project (https://reuse.software/),
specifically from Siemens.

Other income included in this item is speaker fees FSFE receives for
talks held by staff or volunteers, and remuneration for consulting done
by FSFE.

For the curious, and for the sake of completeness: the numbers given are
excluding VAT.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions!

Best,
--
Reinhard Müller * Financial Team
Free Software Foundation Europe