How to combat modern crappy websites?

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Sun May 1 13:02:20 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-30 16:02, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Security tip: the chat seems to be vulnerable to CSRF attacks so any
> website can trick your browser into sending chat messages in your name
> (or "in your IP address").

Yes it does, this is a proof of concept, don't use it as is.
Nonetheless, I thank you in general for reporting any findings of the
sort.

IP adressed are not a good identifier anyway. On most occasions where I
showed the program, the participants shared the same address. You would
also expect the program to be save against accidental resubmission of
the same message, so submission IDs would be a good idea. If you want
to use this for anything productive, there should also be a surge
protection.

Since the demo uses no authenticated sessions to protect, I've
implemented a referer check. More reliable checks should be used in an
environment wich maintains a real user session to track. This would
exceed the scope of this demo.

BTW, this makes good further reading:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Top_Ten_Project

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                               █▉█▉█▉