Microsoft open specification promise

theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Tue Dec 11 11:40:21 UTC 2012

Am 11.12.2012 11:26, schrieb Matthias Kirschner:
> Please also have a look at:
>
> http://fsfe.org/activities/os/msooxml-interoperability.en.html
> Also some information
> http://fsfe.org/activities/os/msooxml-idiosyncrasies.en.html

These are rather dated and technical. Ordinary users, even politicians
engaged in liberty, social or green issues, usually don't care about
anything except that it works. Is there an FSFE page or elsewhere, which
concisely explains to ordinary users the disadvanges of OOXML (and
especially DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX) and encourages them use, if not ODF, at
least RTF and PDF when possible?

Should people be encouraged to use the old DOC, XLS and PPT formats for
interoperability in spite of their inferiority?

My own experience is now that I can mostly open DOCX, XLSX and PPTX
files in Libre Office, but there are often things missing, e.g. lines of
text, columns of data, or complex XLSX documents take ages to load. Is
this the "fault" of OOXML, MS-Office, Libre Office or all three?

Cheers, Theo Schmidt