EC Consulation - audiovisual works

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jul 21 21:08:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 21:36 +0200, Nicola Bignami wrote:
> Il 21/07/2011 21:24, Hugo Roy ha scritto:
> > Le jeudi 21 juillet 2011 à 20:47 +0200, Nicola Bignami a écrit :
> >> Nothing about software or computer is specifically mentioned.
> > Am I wrong or the consultation is about "online distribution"? How could
> > they NOT mention software or computer? They don't even mention the
> > Internet?
>
> I think that this consultation regards all kinds of contents
> distribution (Internet, satellite, tv, physical supports and so on), so
> they remain as generic as possible.
> They, for example, mention the restrictions on geographical basis citing
> the restrictions taken by many satellite broadcasters.
>
> > Thanks for your help Nicola!

More broadly this consultation is about what to do at the EU level with
regard to clearing rights in all markets.

The current situation is very fragmented as each state has its own
collecting agency and very often rights are not cleared for smaller
states (therefore content is not transmitted there) because they are
small markets and the hassle is greater than the benefit.

This consultation is about what to do to make it simpler to clear rights
for multiple states to broaden service access. The paper explicitly says
many EU citizens expect to be able to access the same content everywhere
in EU while currently that is not happening.

It ask questions about whether there should be a central agency that can
simplify clearing rights in multiple EU areas at the same time.

They do mention the internet but only as one of the mediums used to
distribute content, they are equally interested in cable, satellite,
DTT, and any other mean used to transmit content.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce