guardian: "When using open source makes you an enemy of the state"

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Feb 25 13:07:41 UTC 2010

Kristian Rink writes:
> Karsten Gerloff schrieb:
> > working on it.
> >
> > There are so many things wrong with this, I hardly know where to
> > start.
>
> I see. :) Good to know that, it seems that this kind of lobbyism is
> hardly doing (us?) any good these days. Just wonder why there are no
> statements by any open-source driven companies (RedHat, ...) on that...

Maybe the ones who would make statements don't know what to do about
the IIPA and things like this?

We know that the proprietary software industry and other "new
enclosures" groups have thoroughly captured most industry associations
like Intellect and even the UK Patent Office is now the wrong-named
"Intellectual Property Office".

Maybe FSFE could encourage a new *liberal* creative industry
association that mainly coordinates its members on things like this,
without either trying to extract dues from its members or group them
together into consortia?  I don't see any way for companies to join
FSFE on the website at the moment.

Personally, I'm trying to get the regional, national and international
cooperative associations to use more free software - or at least not
lock us out! - and I think fsfe's current supporters would give a far
quicker and easier way to build a new industry body.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software