Explaining Open Standards email attachements

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 1 00:10:50 UTC 2010

Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org> writes:

> - Audio: Use ogg vorbis, or if you need a better quality flac.

Or, if you need specifically human speech, use Speex.

> - Images: ...

Fortunately there aren't many problems using free software for the
popular image formats. SVG for vector images, PNG for lossless raster
images, and JPEG for lossy raster image compression. (The patents
against JPEG can, in my not-a-lawyer opinion, be ignored as no more
dangerous than any software idea patent.)

--
 \     “Why am I an atheist? I ask you: Why is anybody not an atheist? |
  `\      Everyone starts out being an atheist.” —Andy Rooney, _Boston |