FSFE engages in the EU browser case

Bernhard Reiter reiter at fsfeurope.org
Mon Mar 2 08:43:16 UTC 2009

Florian,

Am Freitag, 27. Februar 2009 20:05:37 schrieb Florian Weimer:
> * Graeme West:
> >> FSFE considers anti-competitive behaviour unacceptable, whether it
> >> occurs through 'tying' products, or in circumventing standards and fair
> >> access. FSFE will seek to support all processes that ensure competition
> >> and enable innovation.
>
> Will the FSFE recommend that GNU/Linux distributions include Opera?

of course not, but you have already known this.

I think I know why you are asking, though:
What is the difference of Microsoft integrating IE into Windows
to Mandriva integrating Konqueror into KDE?

One difference is obvious, and this is market share.
Microsoft's very large market share has put them in a unique position
to do misschief in other areas.

Others points are harder to see at the first look.
As far as I can say Microsoft has done deliberate technical (and other)
decisions for the sole purpose of obstructing their competition in the
browser market. This makes it a case for the European Commission.
Because there is Free Software like Iceweasel and Konqueror competing with
Microsoft's offerings, supporting the EC is useful for FSFE.

Did I get your implied question right?
What do you think about it?

Also see the following blog entries of Georg and Carlo on the matter:
http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=229
http://www.piana.eu/browsers

Best,
Bernhard
--
FSFE -- Coordinator Germany                                   (fsfeurope.org)
Your donation makes our work possible:  www.fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html