RFC - e-mail in tough environments

Sergey Matveev stargravesm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 19:24:23 UTC 2009

Greetings,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 08:05:02PM +0100, Matthias Kirschner wrote:

> I just published a blog entry [1]. Although I explained this topic a lot
> of times in the past I never wrote down the most basic principles of
> e-mail usage. Now I finally did it so I can point friends who are news
> in the Free Software community to this short guide. If you find it
> useful I will add it to wiki.fsfe.org.

I like this small kind of guide very good: main common user's mistakes
highlighting, short and useful. It is really sad to see how many
people do not know nearly everything of all mentioned here.

>     - *E-Mail signature* Keep it small and simple. Signatures longer
>       than five lines should be avoided. The separated for the signature
>       is “– ” (minus minus blank) and then line break. The blank is
>       important as many e-mail programs then know that it is a
>       signature.

I think that your editor converted double dash to single longer one.
"– " instead of "-- ".

>   1. http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=405
>   2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>   3. http://www.fsdaily.com/Beginner/E_mail_usage_in_the_Free_Software_community

Very usefull Wikipedia's one!

--
Happy hacking, Sergey Matveev                   () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
FSF Associate member #5968 | FSFE Fellow #1390  /\ Keep it simple!