Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

KwangErn Liew ke.liew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 20:02:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM, P.B. <pb at fsfe.org> wrote:
>  Fixing Linux: What's Broken And What To Do About It"
>

> http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212100714
>

> It contains a few arguments that are actually true and something
> everyone who's using Linux has thought/complained/or hoped for at
> least once.
> (I'll put myself mainly on the list of "packaging" and "audio" problems)
>

> These are things often noticed immediately by newcomers to the
> GNU/Linux world, and I must admit that I'd often be happy to have
> better solutions than the currently existing "freedom of choice
> incompatibility happiness".
>

> What's your opinion about the issues mentioned there?

Linux is just a kernel. Everything on top of it are meshed into an OS
though having different ways to really allow different solutions
(flavours) for individuals and organisations.

I find that the article is not really providing good grounds on what's
_really_ wrong with Linux. It sounds like the article is saying,
"different methods (flavours) is wrong." Is he implying that the Linux
kernel and related OS should be a one-size-fits-all?

I can agree that there should be certain standards in the kernel.

KwangErn