3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Wed Mar 14 12:49:35 UTC 2007

    ams> And that is by distributing immoral and unethical software?

   As someone else already pointed out, this is about giving people
   hardware so they can free it. This is not very different in
   principle From=20(for lack of alternative) getting a notebook that
   has Microsoft Windows on it for the purpose of replacing Windows
   with a fully free GNU/Linux.

It is _very_ different, a notebook works without non-free software.
These devices do not.

   But should we let this stop us from bringing freedom to those
   devices?

One does not achive freedom by distributing non-free software to
people.

    ams> Why not? It is exactly the same situation.

   Because it would be a step away from freedom.

   As explained before, the situations are vastly different.

It is exactly the same, and you trying to compare it to notebooks with
Windows preinstalled makes it even more clear why it is the same.  In
all three cases you are distributing non-free software in the hope
that someone will replace it.

    ams> That is exactly what people are being told right now with the
    ams> FSFE distributing this device to fellows.

   It has been implied that we were telling this to people, although
   we explicitly pointed out that we are not recommending these
   devices and pass them on only for the purpose of finding people to
   free them.

But giving them away you are indeed recommending them, a message
stating that you are not does not change the fact.

I cannot in good concious recommend people to become Fellows, and I
suspect that many others on this list feel the same.