Kernel developers' position on GPLv3

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Sep 27 12:02:55 UTC 2006

* Alfred M. Szmidt wrote, On 27/09/06 11:44:
>    > You say that simply because you cannot use it how _you_ want, the
>    > whole system must be junked, you could simply install a
>    > webbrowser and use the system, or a PDF viewer, all of this is
>    > free software and not very hard to do.  PDF viewers and web
>    > browsers are the most basic tools these days.
>    >
>    > Maybe if you paid the people who made the whole GPLv3 commenting
>    > infrastructure you might get what you want, but until then, they
>    > are going to work on something the majority of people can use
>    > easily, and they have done a wonderful job achiving that IMHO.
>
>    This is why you should not have kept out of politics.
>
>    The participation mechanism acts as a pre-selector of
>    participants. How are we to know how many would-be participants are
>    excluded and silent because the participation mechanism excluded
>    them.
>
> Nobody has excluded MJ, he is quite free to add such a feature him
> self, or pay someone to do it.

I haven't said that MJ was excluded.
I merely commented that your opinion of the system being usable by those
who used it was content free.
I merely commented that FSF are hard put to show that it wasn't a
selective exclusion should someone make the claim.
> The rest of your post I simply do not understand.

Well, as I say, you shouldn't have avoided politics.

Sam