Free Software Evangelism, revisited

Steven steffo at gmail.com
Fri May 26 17:37:48 UTC 2006

Your previous question seems to be based on the assumption that 'for profit'
and 'for believe' are mutual exclusive. I think they are not. I believe in
Free Software and still am looking for ways to earn money, because I need
to. If I could earn money by 'selling' Free Software I would consider it a
good thing, since I could combine something I need to do with something I
want to do. But if I would be 'selling' Free Software - for whatever reason
- and do not believe in or care for the philosophy of Free Software then I
would be a fake, no evangelist.

In your example about the hero, I think he is by this definition "hero:the
principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem"  :) But by this
definition: "hero:man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and
strength" I think there is not enough information in the example to tell.

Also note that for the person falling it makes no difference. The result is
the same. This is also true for spreading the word about Free Software.

cheers,

Steven Ottenhoff