Free Toaster (was: Defining Free Software Business)

Reinhard Mueller mueller at fsfeurope.org
Tue Jun 27 16:13:58 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, den 27.06.2006, 17:36 +0200 schrieb Alfred M. Szmidt:
> All the four freedoms need to be usable for something to be useful.
> If you can't upload a new copy, then being able to modify it is
> pointless I think.

I disagree. It might be possible for the software (or at least parts of
it) to be used outside the original device.

Of course I would love the possibility to patch my toaster, but that
might cause additional costs on the hardware side that would make the
toaster not sell all too well.

I'm not sure if I interpret you correctly, but if your statement
somewhat implies that having access to the software of a device is
pointles if there is no possibility to upload modified versions, I
*strongly* disagree. Being able to inspect how something works is
*always* valuable, IMHO.

Thanks,
Reinhard