Recordings talks about Free Software

Patrick Ohnewein patrick.ohnewein at lugbz.org
Tue Aug 29 14:41:46 UTC 2006

Giacomo Poderi schrieb:
> Patrick Ohnewein ha scritto:
>> Giacomo Poderi schrieb:
>>> Basically:
>>> - By submitting anything to their website you accept to delegate to them
>>> the copyright[0] of the submitted files
>> An implicit copyright assignment is really heavy.
>
> Sorry, here i should make a clarification, the author/user always retain
> the ownership of his work, but allows YouTube to sublicense the work
>
> The related part of their therm of use (chapt 5. User submission)
> ...For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User
> Submissions. However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you
> hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free,
> sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute,
> prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions
> in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its
> successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and
> redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works
> thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels....

Thsi seams to be no problem for free content and I think YouTube has to
ask this rights to be able to use the content on the site.

If I get it right, the user grands all freedoms to YouTube. If he uses a
free content license he would grant the freedoms to everyone not just to
YouTube.

Where is the problem?

Patrick