GPL and Moral Rights

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 10 14:47:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:34:40PM +0200, edA-qa mort-ora-y wrote:
> On my recent quest to compare contracts, licenses, and the GPL, I
> stumbled across something that is disconcerting to me: the moral rights
> provided by the Berne Convention seem to impose limits on the freedom
> provided by the GPL.

Adding to the other comments already made:

There have not been cases for "software" based on this moral rights,
AFAIK only for "literature".

So most law systems make a distinction between those two.
It is true that this is an area where we could continue the
lawmaking debate, but it is not relevant much for the current practice.
Its danger dimished in comparision to the current threats to Free Software.