GPL not encouraging new technology

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Dec 5 09:27:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:30:00AM +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> 10% p/a, but this was some years ago. I *do* know non-ethical
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> investments perform excellently in recessions and do pretty well in
> boom times too.

Is that from personal experience? If so, as victim or abuser?

> No, but as I've been saying all along I don't believe free software
> encourages either entrepreneurs nor radical ground-up innovation.

One, it doesn't encourage entrepreneurs? Just here in Portugal I know of
about 6 different companies that deal with free software.
Unfourtunately, not exclusively, but the non-free products are not the
motivation for their work... they just value technical merit more,
instead of keeping a balance.

Two, there is no radical ground-up innovation, that's the fairy tale of
the lottery of software patents.

Rui